TRƯỜNG THPT NGUYỄN TẤT THÀNH
ĐỀ THI GIỮA HỌC KÌ 1 NĂM HỌC 2020-2021
MÔN: TIẾNG ANH 10
(Thời gian làm bài: 45 phút, không kể thời gian phát đề)
I. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
1. Many people who do volunteer work think they are more fortunate than others.
2. Public service announcement is a special advertisement for the community, normally about health or safety matters.
3. Economically disadvantaged students often drop out of school, choosing a low- paying job to earn money.
4. We are looking for camp helpers who are hard-working, energetic, and able to organise activities for young children.
5. Volunteering also means getting to meet people with a similar passion.
II. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
Orbis is an organisation which helps blind people of everywhere. It has built an eye hospital inside an aeroplane and flown it all over the world with an international medica team. Samantha Graham, a fourteen-year-old schoolgirl from England, went with the plane to Mongolia. Samantha tells the story of the Eukhtuul, a young Mongolian girl.
‘Last year, when Eukhtuul was walking home from school, she was attacked by boys with sticks and her eyes were badly damaged. Dr. Duffey, an Orbis doctor, said that without an operation she would never see again. I thought about all the things I do that she couldn’t, things like reading schoolbooks, watching television, seeing friends, and I realised how lucky I am.’
‘The Orbis team agreed to operate on Eukhtuul and I was allowed to watch, together with some Mongolian medical students. I prayed the operation would be successful. The next day I waited nervously with Eukhtuul while Dr. Duffey removed her bandages. “In six months your sight will be back to normal,” he said. Eukhtuul smiled, her mother cried, and I had to wipe away some tears, too!’
Now Eukhtuul wants to study hard to become a doctor. Her whole future has changed thanks to a simple operation. We should all think more about how much our sight means to us.’
1. What information can be learned from this passage?
A. the best way of studying medicine
B. the international work of some eye doctors
C. the difficulties for blind travellers
D. the life of schoolchildren in Mongolia
2. The word “she” in the passage refers to ____.
A. the writer
B. the nurse
D. the medical studen
3. After meeting Eukhtuul, Samantha felt ____.
A. angry about Eukhtuul’s experience
B. grateful for her own sight
C. proud of the doctor’s skill
D. surprise by Eukhtuul’s ability
4. W hat is the result of Eukhtuul’s operation?
A. After some time she will see as well as before.
B. Before she recovers, she needs another operation.
C. She can see better but can never have normal eyes.
D. She can’t see perfectly again.
5. What is the writer’s main purpose in writing this passage?
A. to describe a dangerous trip
B. to explain how sight can be lost
C. to report a patient’s cure
D. to warn against playing with sticks
III. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
A YEAR WITH OVERSEAS VOLUNTEERS
I was with Overseas Volunteers (OV) for a year after leaving university, and I was sent to an isolated village in Chad, about 500 kilometres from the capital N’Djamena. Coming from a (1) ____ country, I got quite a shock, as conditions were much harder than I had expected. But after a lew days I got used to (2) ____ there. The people were always very friendly and helpful, and I soon began to appreciate how beautiful the countiyside was.
One of my jobs was to supply the village (3) ____ water. The well was a long walk away, and the women used to spend a long time every day (4) ____ heavy pots backwards and forwards. So I contacted the organisation and arranged to have some pipes delivered. (5) ____ these pipes were not really perfect, they still made a great difference to the villagers.
All in all, I think my time with OV was a good experience. Although it was not paid, it was well worth doing and I would recommend it to anyone (6) ____ was considering working for a charity.
IV. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
1. Volunteerism is on the rise in the United States, especially among retired persons.
A. More and more American people, especially the retired, do volunteer work.
B. The number of volunteers in the United States is increasing faster and faster.
C. More retired people in the United States start doing charity work.
D. More American people, especially the retired, refuse to be voluntary.
2. It is meaningful to save some pocket money for charity work.
A. Nobody thinks it is meaningless to loose money for charity work.
B. Saving some pocket money for charity work is a meaningful thing to do.
C. It means that we have to save some pocket money for charity work.
D. We mean to save some pocket money for charity work.
3. Our children are interested in giving away their old books to needy people.
A. Our children find it interesting to give away their old books to needy people.
B. For our children, it is interesting for needy people to give away their old books.
C. One of the most interesting things that our children do is to give away old books to needy people.
D. Giving away old books to needy people is one of our children’s hobbies.
4. Mary is disappointed with the volunteer work in this charity organisation.
A. The volunteer work in this charity organisation is disappointed at Mary.
B. Mary found the volunteer work in this charity organisation disappointing.
C. The volunteer work in this charity organisation makes Mary disappointing.
D. Mary found it disappointed to do volunteer work in this charity organisation.
—(Nội dung đầy đủ, chi tiết phần đáp án của đề thi số 1 vui lòng xem tại online hoặc đăng nhập để tải về máy)—
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
1. A. costly B. fastener C. portable D. smartphone
2. A. determine B. profile C. science D. versatile
3. A. benefit B. generous C. inventor D. video
4. A. fabric B. iminate C. laptop D. patent
5. A. company B. compose C. comprise D. computer
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. Smartphone can be a great learning ____ but you need to think of how to use it effectively.
2. It is convenient for you to read ____ when you travel.
C. online game
3. Many young people carry a pair of earbuds as they are small, light, and ____.
4. Washing machine or vacuum cleaner can help you to ____ time while doing housework.
5. Velcro has gradually become a familiar ____ for shoes, jackets, and even spacesuits.
6. Most smartphones now ____ flash player as well as voice and video calls.
7. Many students prefer ____ assignments on their laptops to writing traditionally.
8. Mobile devices such as laptops or digital cameras can be charged by ____.
A. solar charges
C. solar chargers
9. We can surf the ____ to search for news, watch films, or download music.
10. In many classrooms, teachers use chalk to write on the ____.
B. black boards
D. white boards
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct to each of the following questions.
1. A correction pen is used for ____ your writing mistakes.
D. to cover
2. It’s no good ____ him the truth now.
A. not to tell
D. to tell
3. It’s important ____ too much about your failure.
A. not to worry
B. not worry
C. not worrying to
D. don’t worry
4. Don’t forget ____ your homework before coming to class.
B. having done
C. to be done
D. to do
5. Did you remember ____ Mr. Green my message?
A. be given
C. have given
D. to give
6. 3-D printing ____ complex tools and components.
A. is used for produce
B. is used to produce
C. uses for producing
D. uses to produce
7. She was old enough ____ up her own mind.
D. to make
8. My computer is used for ____ music and video.
A. having played
D. to play
9. My father uses a calculator to ____.
A. be calculated
B. being calculated
10. Facebook is used____ among the young.
C. to communicate
D. to communicating
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct response to each of the following exchanges.
1. “Good luck with the exam, Minh!” – “____, Dad.”
A. By no means
B. I wish so
C. Never mind
D. Thank you
2. “Dad. I’ve passed the English test.” – “____”
A. Good job!
B. Good test!
C. Good luck!
D. Good way!
3. “I think I will choose a new laptop rather than a smartphone.” – “____,Phong!”
B. I hope so
C. What a pity
D. What a wise choice
4. “Do you know that many inventions were inspired by the natural world?” – “____”
A. Of course. You’re right.
B. There is no hope about it.
C. Well, that sounds interesting.
D. Yes, I couldn’t agree more.
5. “Do you think new inventions always make people rich?” – “____”
A. I agree.
B. I don’t think so.
C. It sounds great.
D. no, not much
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
When Scotsman Alexander Graham Bell (106) ____ the telephone in 1876, it was a revolution in communication. (107) ____ the first time, people could talk to each other over great distances almost as clearly as if they were in the same room. Nowadays, though, we (108) ____ usc Bell’s invention for taking photographs, (109) ____ the Internet or watching video clips rather than talking. Over the last two decades a new (110) _____ of spoken communication has emerged: the mobile phone.
—(Nội dung đầy đủ, chi tiết phần đáp án của đề thi số 2 vui lòng xem tại online hoặc đăng nhập để tải về máy)—
1B 2A 3D 4B 5A 6D 7A 8C 9B 10B 11D 12D 13C 14B 15A 16C 17C 18A 19D 20D
21B 22D 23C 24C 25C 26D 27A 28D 29C 30B 31C 32C 33D 34A 35B
I. Fill the gaps with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1. I’m busy right now. I (prepare) ____________________ dinner.
2. Mai (not/ study) _________________ very hard at the moment. I (not/ think) _______________ she’ll pass the exam.
3. Look! Mary (wear) _________________________ a pink shirt. She (look) ______________ so pretty in it.
4. In Vietnam, many people (live) ______________ in extended families.
5. – Do you want to have the chicken or the beef?
– I think we (have) ________________ the beef.
6. – I (be) ____________________ so thirsty now!
– OK. I (bring) _______________ some water.
7. John (speak) _____________ English and French. Now he (speak)_______________ French to some visitors from Paris.
8. As planned, we (drive) ________________ from our city to the sea.
II. Complete each of the following sentences with a word/ phrase from the box.
do the laundry/ household chores/ junk/ lungs/ breadwinner/ brain/ exercise/ doing the washing-up
1. It is the ……………… that controls all the organs in the body.
2. If you breath in deeply, your ………………….. can expand to twice their normal size.
3. It does not take him much time to ……………….. because he has a washing machine.
4. He hates …………………….. after dinner and sometimes breaks a bowl or a plate.
5. To stay healthy or become stronger, you should ………………… regularly.
6. As a ……………….. in his family, Mr. Black has to work hard all the time for money.
7. I have to do some …………………. such as cooking meals, cleaning the house and washing the dishes.
8. ……………………………. food is a kind of food that is quick and easy to prepare and eat, but it is thought to be bad for your health.
III. Find the words which is pronounced differently in the part underlined.
1. A. checkroom
2. A. chore
3. A. children
4. A. game
5. A. legal
IV. Rewrite the following sentences with the given beginning or under instruction so that the meaning is unchanged.
1. They haven’t finished their new hospital yet. (Passive Voice)
2. John hasn’t invited us to his party. (Passive Voice)
3. The teacher told them funny story. (Passive Voice)
4. Look at those black clouds! There’s rain on the way!
5. Nobody has invited her to the party. (Passive voice)
6. The teacher doesn’t allow me to take the seat by the window. (Passive voice)
—(Nội dung đầy đủ, chi tiết phần đáp án của đề thi số 3 vui lòng xem tại online hoặc đăng nhập để tải về máy)—
1. am preparing
2 – isn’t studying – don’t think
3 – is wearing – looks
4 – live
5 – will have
6 – am – will bring
7 – speaks – is speaking
8 – are going to drive
1 – brain
2 – lungs
3 – do the laundry
4 – doing the washing – up
5 – exercise
6 – Breadwinner
7 – household chores
8 – junk
1 – D ; 2 – B; 3 – B; 4 – B; 5 – B
1. Their new hospital hasn’t been finished.
2. We hasn’t been invited to John’s party.
3. They were told funny story.
4. Look at those black clouds! It is going to rain.
5. She hasn’t been invited to the party.
6. I am not allowed to take the seat by the window.
7. Mr. Hải is said to be the breadwinner in his family.
8. Peter is thought to exercises regularly.
9. Our class are going to make an excursion to King’s Island next week.
I. Fill in each blank with the correct word/ phrase from the box
headache share fever heavy lifting sneeze
hurts nurture groceries toothache homemaker
Question 1. If your partner has agreed to buy the ……………., you might plan the week’s meals and make the shopping list.
Question 2. We should pay attention to the conditions that ……………. and strengthen early childhood development and health across the life course.
Question 3. Past studies have shown that couples who ……………. household chores report feeling happier overall.
Question 4. I have watched my husband and children take over much of my role as a ……………..
Question 5. Men and boys do most of the ……………. in the family.
Question 6. Have you got a tissue? I think I’m going to ……………..
Question 7. I played tennis for two hours yesterday and now my arm ……………..
Question 8. My daughter feels very hot. I think she’s got a ……………..
Question 9. My mouth really hurts because I’ve got ……………..
Question 10. Can you turn the music down please because I’ve got a (an) ……………..
III. Fill in the blank with the appropriate form of the word in brackets.
Question 11. A mother’s love can be as ……………. as breastfeeding. (benefit)
Question 12. In the traditional Japanese family system, the entire estate of the family, and the ……………. assets are transferred from the father to the eldest son. (finance)
Question 13. Mrs. White spoke ……………. of her husband because he didn’t share anything with household chores. (criticize)
Question 14. My aunt works ……………. hard to support her family because her husband died in a car accident a year ago. (enormous)
Question 15. When we have some trouble in our family, we should have family meetings to work out a …………….. (solve)
III. Find the word which has a different sound in the part underlined.
Question 16. A. society B. sociable C. groceries D. finance
Question 17. A. intestine B. mind C. spine D. reliable
IV. Choose the word which has s different stress pattern from the others
Question 18. A. breadwinner B. homemaker C. washing-up D. equally
Question 19. A. oxygenate B. ability C. complicated D. regularly
V. Fill in the gaps with the correct form of verbs in brackets.
Question 20. Ms. Lan is not in the office today. She (work) ……………. at home today.
Question 21. Don’t forget your umbrella. It (rain) ……………. again.
Question 22. In Viet Nam, children (look) ……………. after their old parents.
Question 23. Can I look at the newspaper now? (you/ read) ……………. it?
Question 24. Can I phone you back? We (have) ……………. dinner.
VI. Choose the word or phrase among A, B, C or D that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
In the United States today, more than half of mothers with young children work, compared to about one third in the 1970s. Women have been moving into the workplace not only for career (25) but also for the income.
In many families today, mothers continue to work because they have careers that they have spent years developing. Some women (26) to work soon after giving birth because they know that most employers are not sympathetic to working mothers who wish to take time off to be with their young children.
Some people still think that a “good mother” is one who (27) work to stay at home with their children. However, no scientific evidence says children are harmed when their mothers work. A child who is emotionally well adjusted, well loved, and well cared for will thrive regardless of whether the mother works outside the home.
In most families with working mothers, each person (28) a more active role in the household. The children tend to look at one another and help in other ways. The father as a (29) is more likely to help with household chores and child rearing. These positive outcomes are most likely when the working mother feels valued and supported by family, friends and coworkers.
Question 25. A. enjoy B. satisfy C. satisfaction D. pleasant
Question 26. A. return B. turn C. happen again D. exchange
Question 27. A. gives up B. stops C. ends D. puts up
Question 28. A. plays B. does C. makes D. takes
Question 29. A. bread B. breadwinning C. breadstick D. breadwinner
VII. Read the passage, and choose the correct answer A, B, C or D for each question.
Reflexology is a natural treatment dating to ancient times. It is based on the idea that there are zones, or areas, in the feet and hands that are related to other parts and systems of the body. For example, the tips of the toes or fingers are related to head and neck, and the ball of the foot is related to the heart and chest. A reflexologist applies pressure to specific areas in a patient’s feet and hands to relieve symptoms or pain in other related areas.
This type of treatment does not cure or diagnose specific health problem, and it does not involve any medication. Yet many find that it successfully relieves symptoms of stress and disease. Reflexology is effective for pain, headaches, and sleeping difficulties, among other ailments. Applying pressure to the feet and hands relieves tension, improves blood circulation, and relaxes muscles. It promotes the natural, healthy functions and well-being of the entire body. Reflexology is often used along with other types of treatments, including conventional medicine.
This gentle therapy is safe and simple. A reflexologist’s only tools are his or her hands. Pressure is strong, but not uncomfortable. It’s not uncommon for patients to fall asleep during treatments.
A typical treatment session lasts one hour. Treatment is usually focused on the feet for most of the session. A patient is asked to remove his or her shoes and socks, to sit in a comfortable reclining chair, and then to relax as the reflexologist warms the patient’s feet with his or her hands and applies pressure to the appropriate parts of the foot. The last ten minutes of the session are dedicated to the hands.
After relieving specific problems, many patients continue a regular programme of treatment to maintain good health. Some reflexologists suggest building at least a five – minute reflexology session into every day for long – term relief of stress and pain.
Question 30. Reflexology is a natural treatment which is based on the idea that…………………..
A. there are zones or areas in the feet and hands that are related to any parts of the body
B. the pressure in certain areas in the feet and hands will affect other parts of the body
C. we can apply pressure to specific areas in a patient’s feet and hands to cure diseases
D. pressure on the ball of the foot can cure heart diseases and chest pain
Question 31. All of the following may be the benefits of reflexology EXCEPT……………….
A. giving up using other conventional treatments
B. improving blood circulation
C. relieving tension, pain, sleepless
D. relaxing muscles
Question 32. Reflexology offers the therapy that is……………
A. simple and uncomfortable
B. gentle and uncomfortable
C. safe and comfortable
D. too strong but safe
Question 33. In a typical session of reflexology, about ………….. is spent on the feet.
A. one hour
B. fifty minutes
C. ten minutes
D. half the time
Question 34. In order to have good effect, we should ……………
A. have a long – term relief session combined with medicine
B. remove our shoes and socks every day
C. have a regular five – minute reflexology session every day
D. try to avoid specific problems in our daily life
VIII. Write complete sentences using the words/ phrases given in their correct forms. You can add some more necessary words, but you have to use all the words given.
Question 35. Teenagers/ need/ love and support/ their parents/ when they face/ many changes/ their lives.
Question 36. Family members/ divide/ household chores/ based/ who/ better/ doing them.
—(Nội dung đầy đủ, chi tiết phần đáp án của đề thi số 4 vui lòng xem tại online hoặc đăng nhập để tải về máy)—
Question 1. groceries
Question 2. nurture
Question 3. share
Question 4. homemaker
Question 5. heavy lifting
Question 6. sneeze
Question 7. hurts
Question 8. Fever
Question 9. Toothache
Question 10. headache
Question 11. Beneficial
Question 12. Financial
Question 13. Critically
Question 14. enormously
Question 15. Solution
Question 16. B
Question 17. A
Question 18. C
Question 19. B
Question 20. works
Question 21. is going to rain
Question 22. look
Question 23. Have you read
Question 24. are having
Question 25. C
Question 26. A
Question 27. A
Question 28. A
Question 29. D
Question 30. B
Question 31. A
Question 32. C
Question 33. B
Question 34. C
Question 35. Teenagers need love and support from their parents when they face many changes in their lives.
Question 36. Family members should divide the household chores based on who are better at doing them.
Question 37. The one who arrives home earlier will cook the meal, and the others will lay the table or do the washing-up.
Question 38. Drinking green tea twice or three times a day brings you visible results in days.
Question 39. A glass of lukewarm water with a few drops of mint leaf juice extract is effective for weight loss on prolonged use.
Question 40. Cholesterol is needed by the body to keep producing healthy cells.
I. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions. (0.5m)
II. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.(0,5m)
1. A. repair
2. A. education
III. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions. (3ms)
1. She received a ___________after a two-year course.
2. I leave the house at a quarter past five and arrive in the field at___________ 5.30.
3. I was late school this morning because my alarm clock didn’t ………
a. go off
b. go away
c. go on
d. go up
4.He behaves like an adult. I think he is more ……………. than the other boys in his class.
5. I’ve been in this city for a long time. I _________here sixteen years ago.
A. have come
C. am coming
6. The purpose of the test is to ………… the weight of the chemical element.
7. After I________ lunch, I _______________ a short rest.
A. have / took
B. had / took
C. had have / took
D. had had / took
8. Mr. and Mrs. Parsons __________ to work together every day.
C. are driving d.drove
9. ______________ do you have an English lesson? __ Three times a week.
A. How often
B. How much
C. How long
D. How far
10. It was a hot day, so we decided _________ for a swim.
A. to take
B. to go
C. to make
D. to have
11.. “…….. do you get to school?’ – ‘ by bike”.
c. how far
d. how often
12. I’m sure I locked the door. I clearly remember ………… it.
b. to lock
c. to have locked
d. to be locked
13. A: “What’s ____________ , Peter?” You don’t look very happy.
C. the matter
IV. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks (1,25ms)
I ……(1) my teaching career nearly fifteen years ago. I spent ten years ….(2) in a remote village …(3) the villagers were very poor and the living standard was low. Sometimes I was very disappointed because of bad living conditions and low pay. I was really homesick. However, at that time with my youth enthusiasm, I tried my best to devote myself to the noblest career that was “teaching”. I loved my poor little pupils. They were living in ….(4), but I could not leave them alone to suffer from lack of schooling. Although the teacher’s salary may be lower than many other jobs, teaching is much more important for our country. I am proud ………(5) myself to be a teacher, a hard working “volunteer” taking my pupils to the “destination” of knowledge.
1. A..beg in
Đáp án: 1. B; 2. C; 3. B; 4. B; 5. C
V. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.(1,25ms)
Chantal’ s parents didn’t have much money, so they sent her to a state primary school when she was five. She enjoyed her reading and writing lessons, but there were so many pupils in the class that the teacher found it difficult to control them.
When Chantal was eleven, her father got a better job, and decided to spend some money on her education. He sent her to an expensive private school, where the girl wore dark green uniforms and did two hours’ homework every evening.
Chantal liked her new school, and did well. Because she studied hard, she passed all her exams, and went to university at eighteen. She chose history course and was an excellent student. In the end, she decided to become a teacher, and returned to her old primary school to teach.
1. Why did Chantal’s parents send her to a state primary school?
A. They liked it.
B. It was near her house.
C. They were poor.
D. It was expensive.
2. How many kinds of lessons did she like learning?
3. What was her teachers’ problem at the primary school?
A. Large class.
B. Low salary.
C. Disobedient pupils.
D. Strict head master.
4. What was an important event for Chantal when she was eleven?
A. Leaving her home.
B. Getting better education.
C. Passing the exams.
D. Going overseas.
5. At university she studied .
A. very badly
B. very poorly
C. very well
6. What profession did she finally decide to choose?
D. Advertising of
Đáp án: 1. C; 2. D; 3. A; 4. B; 5. C; 6. B
VI. WRITING (1ms – 0.5 m/each)
A. Rewrite these sentences with suggested words:
1. I went to school late because I missed the bus.
2.I closed all the windows, then I went to bed .
3. I walked to school in twenty minutes.
—(Nội dung đầy đủ, chi tiết phần đáp án của đề thi số 5 vui lòng xem tại online hoặc đăng nhập để tải về máy)—
I. 1. D; 2. D
II. 1. D; 2. C
1. B; 2. C; 3. B; 4. B; 5. C
1. C; 2. D; 3. A; 4. B; 5. C; 6. B
1. Why did you go to school late?
2. Before I went to bed, I had closed all the windows.
3. It took me twenty minutes to walk to school.
1. What subjects do you have on Monday?
2. Columbus discovered America more than 400 years ago.
Trên đây là một phần trích đoạn nội dung Bộ 5 đề thi giữa HK1 môn Tiếng Anh 10 có đáp án năm 2021-2022 Trường THPT Nguyễn Tất Thành. Để xem toàn bộ nội dung các em chọn chức năng xem online hoặc đăng nhập vào trang hoc247.net để tải tài liệu về máy tính.
Mời các em tham khảo các tài liệu có liên quan
Hy vọng bộ đề thi này sẽ giúp các em học sinh ôn tập tốt và đạt thành tích cao trong kì thi sắp tới.